Leasing Multifunction Devices
KU encourages all departments to use multifunction Devices (MFDs) instead of traditional copy machines and printers. One multifunction device provides the functionality of a printer, copier and fax machine all from one device.
- Lowering per page cost. Black and white prints cost about half a cent. Color copies cost five cents.
- Lowering repair and supply costs. Eliminate ongoing repair and supply costs for multiple devices (regular printers, copy machines, scanners and fax machines).
- Reducing network and electrical connections. Eliminate the need for multiple network and electrical connections.
- Supporting campus sustainability and reducing paper costs by setting the default all multifunction devices to duplex (two-sided printing). Single-sided printing can easily be done when needed.
- Reducing printing volume by providing scanning functionality to create electronic documents. You can scan to email, Hawk Drive, or to central file storage (V: drive).
- Review information below about Selecting a Multifunction Device.
- Complete the online form to Request a new Multifunction Device.
- You will be contacted within five business days by a KU IT Client Consulting support person. IT Client Consulting staff will come to your location to assess your print/copy needs and determine if additional power or network connections are needed.
- IT Client Consulting staff use the information they gather and complete the KU Purchasing request in the KUPPS system for you.
- You will be notified when the order is ready for your review and approval within the KUPPS system.
- KU Purchasing will place the order for you.
- The contract vendor, Unisource Document Products (UDP), will coordinate the order delivery with you, your departmental technical support person, IT Client Consulting and the IT Multifunction Support team.
- IT Client Consulting staff will ensure that any needed networking changes are made and will schedule user training for your department.
Selecting a Multifunction Device
Multifunction Devices are included in KU Contract 87100. The contract is available on the KU Purchasing Contracts website. This contract offers a variety of options so you can obtain the right device for your departmental needs.
- Review the list of Standard Features and Optional Features to determine which features your department needs.
- Review the Bizhub Price List (.xls) and Lease and Billing information.
KU IT Client Consulting staff will ensure that these requirements are met. Please note that charges will apply if a power outlet change is needed or if a fax line is installed.
- Electrical Power — The following multifunction device models require 15-amp circuits: 282, C280, 421 and 501. The other models operate on 20-amp circuits.
- Power outlet upgrades may be needed and are scheduled with Facilities Operations at www2.ku.edu/~kufo/. There will be a charge for this upgrade.
- Data Circuit — IT Client Consulting staff will determine if an existing data circuit can be used or if a new one is required. If a data circuit needs to be moved or installed, the charge for the work will be funded by the university. The network add/move request will be submitted. The request will indicate that the request is for a multifunction device covered by KU contract 87100, and the new data circuit should be placed on the "Printer VLAN."
- Fax Line — If you add the optional fax feature to the new multifunction device, IT Client Consulting staff will determine if an existing fax line can be used, or or if a new phone line request needs to be submitted.
- Secure Print
- Scan to USB (except Bizhub 282)
- Scan to email (except Bizhub 282)
- Controlled access to network print features through PaperCut
- Controlled access to walk-up features through Authentication
- Tracking by "code" (grants, projects, etc.)
- Ability to add other devices to the print management system
- Automatic Meter Reads (on standard configured devices)
- Fax – this is an optional feature and requires a phone line.
- Staple Finisher
- Booklet Finisher
- Tri-fold on Bizhub c552 and Bizhub c652
- Hole Punch
- Optional Paper Capacity
- Add extra paper trays on bizhub 282, 421, 501, c280
- All others come standard with over 3,600 sheets
- Scan to searchable PDF
- Only available on the four color models.
- Takes a picture of each word on the page to put together and make a PDF so when you open the document you can search for specific words in the document.
- Embedded PaperCut
- Length of contract - The UDP Konica Minolta Bizhub contract for devices leased before December, 2011 expires on September 1, 2015. The contract for devices leased after that date expires five years after the lease start date.
- Billing - UDP will bill departments monthly.
- Payments - Bills must be paid by credit card.
- Bills include:
- Device charge – one month in advance.
- Optional accessories charge – one month in advance.
- Usage charge – previous month's actual meter read.
- Scanning – no fee for scanning activity.
- Management Fee – includes centralized print management support.
- There is no extra charge for toner, parts or labor.
- Monthly network fee of $8.50 will be billed as it is currently.
- Meter reads for billing will be done automatically for devices with standard configuration—meaning the device needs to be set up so UDP can contact it to get meter reads.
- UDP will obtain meter read reports over the network.
- The device records the actual usage "as printed" and will track black pages and color pages separately.
Moving and Exchanging MFDs
- Complete the Copier Change Request Form (.pdf) before a multifunction device is moved. If a device is moved to a new location, the features that rely on the network connection (print, scan, and monitoring) will not be available until the data port is configured by KU IT.
- UDP technicians will be contacted to assist with multifunction device moves.
- If you need to exchange or return a device, contact KU Purchasing, firstname.lastname@example.org, to coordinate the exchange or return.
After using your multifunction device for awhile you may realize that you need to add an accessory, or that you are not using an accessory you originally thought would be helpful. Here are the available accessories:
- Basic finisher with stapler
- Booklet finisher
- Hole punch
- Scan to searchable PDF
- Fax capability
- Large capacity paper tray 2,500 sheets
- Large capacity paper tray 4,000 sheets
- Two additional 1,500 sheet paper trays
- One additional 2,500 sheet paper tray
To request a new accessory, or removal of a current accessory, complete the Copier Change Request Form. Submit the completed form to email@example.com, or fax to 864-3454. Adding an accessory will incur a monthly fee for that accessory.