Two types of Exchange accounts are available: personal accounts and departmental accounts. Personal accounts can be set up online and belong to an individual. Departmental accounts are associated with a task or function and are owned by the department or organization. Departmental accounts are renewed annually in the fall. Examples of departmental accounts include: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some reasons for setting up a departmental account:
- A departmental account email address can be used on brochures, web pages, letterhead, etc. If staff changes, you won't have to reprint this material.
- People who want to contact an office don't need to know the name of the person doing a particular task in order to send email to your office.
- Messages in the departmental account are available year-after-year, which eases transition issues as staffing changes occur.
- Messages can be answered in a timely manner because multiple individuals will have access to the account.
- Email sent to the departmental account will not count against personal mailbox limits. The departmental account mailbox has its own 2 GB storage limit.
Setting up a departmental account
Download the Exchange Departmental Account Request Form, complete it and return it to KU IT Account Management at the Computer Center. If you have questions about the form, call KU IT Account Management at 864-0439. You will be notified by email when the account has been created.