Outlook 2010 provides users with a wide range of new features including:
- Conversation view - By default, messages are displayed in threads, so all messages with the same subject are grouped together, which means less time wasted searching for a previous message on that topic. When a new message in a thread comes in, the whole thread moves chronologically to the top of your Inbox.
- Ignore option - If you subscribe to mailing lists, you know that sometimes the group engages in discussions that do not interest you. Now you have the option to not see all of the discussions.
- Calendaring - See attendee's availability immediately, or use Schedule View to see multiple calendars at once. You can even overlay calendars to find openings in schedules, or email your calendar to individuals not using Outlook.
- Improved Inbox view - Now you have access to email, calendaring and tasks all in the same window. You can click on an appointment or task and make changes to it without leaving your Inbox.
- Quick contact search - A quick search of all emails, attachments and meetings with an individual is available at the bottom of every email
- Mail Tips - Instantly alerts you to potential distribution issues (e.g., the person you are sending to is out of the office).
KU IT recommends that all Windows users install Outlook 2010, part of the Microsoft Office 2010 package. Current KU faculty, staff and students can purchase this software for their personal computers through KU's Microsoft Campus Agreement. If you prefer to not purchase Office 2010, please use Outlook Web App (OWA), located at mail.ku.edu.
Getting Ready to Use Outlook 2010
- Make sure your computer meets the installation requirements
- Purchase Office 2010 (see instructions for purchasing Microsoft products).
- Configure connection to the KU email system.
The following are the minimum installation requirements for Office Professional Plus 2010.
If your computer does not meet the minimum installation requirements shown below, please use Outlook Web App (OWA).
|Computer and processor||500 MHz processor; 1 GHz required for Outlook with Business Contact Manager|
|Memory||512 MB recommended for graphics features, Outlook Instant Search, Outlook with Business Contact Manager, Lync 2010, and certain advanced functionality. 1,2|
|Hard disk||3.5 GB available disk space|
|Display||1024x768 or higher resolution monitor|
|Operating system||Windows XP (must have SP3) (32-bit), Windows 7, or Windows Vista with Service Pack (SP) 1|
|Graphics||Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX® 9.0c graphics card with 64 MB or more video memory.|
|Additional Requirements||Certain Microsoft(R) OneNote(R) features require Windows(R) Desktop Search 3.0, Windows Media(R) Player 9.0, Microsoft(R) ActiveSync(R) 4.1, microphone, audio output device, video recording device, TWAIN-compatible digital camera, or scanner; sharing notebooks requires users to be on the same network.|
|Other||Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require additional or advanced hardware or server connectivity; www.office.com/products.|