KU Information Technology provides a way for KU departments to securely and responsibly recycle obsolete, unused or unwanted electronic equipment or data storage devices. All sensitive and proprietary university or customer information is completely removed from computer and thumb drives before disposing of them in an environmentally safe manner.
All KU campus departments should use this service for KU-owned and/or operated equipment.
While this service is only for University-owned equipment, the City of Lawrence generally holds two ewaste recycling events each year—in the spring and fall—for personally-owned equipment. Information on the ewaste recycling events and other environmentally responsible disposal options for electronic equipment is available on the city's Electronic Recycling website.
Recycled items may include servers, desktops, workstations, thumb drives, cell phones, tapes, printers, monitors, telephony, network gear, peripherals, etc.
Electronic testing equipment from research labs may also be recycled once the department removes any hazardous materials or chemicals.
Most items can be disposed of at no cost. The following items have fees associated with them for which the department will be billed directly. After the customer completes the eWaste form and the equipment has been disposed of, IT Fiscal Services staff will create and send an invoice to the appropriate department for any applicable charges.
- CRT Monitor disposal - $5.00 per unit
- Television disposal - $15.00 standard (plastic shell), $25 console (wood shell)
To request eWaste recycling services
Contact your departmental technical support person or IT Workstation Support (ITWS), 864-0400, email@example.com. The departmental technical support person can designate another person to handle these tasks. The departmental technical support person or designate will follow these steps:
- Follow KU disposition of property guidelines.
- Remove the hard drives from computing equipment before it is picked up or delivered.
- Complete an eWaste request in ServiceNow (under "Other Requests").
- IT Ewaste Team will contact you to schedule a Date and Time for pickup. (Items may be picked up by IT staff at no cost, or departments may arrange for Facilities Operations (FO) to transport the items for a fee. Contact the FO Movers at 864-4770 for fee information.).
- Please note that pick-ups and drop-offs are by appointment only. Arrangements can be made for large shipments.
- If desired, request a Certificate of Destruction from IT for any drive that is scheduled to be wiped and recycled. The certificate will be sent once recycling is complete.