Tips, tricks and shortcuts for the J-Talk voice mail system
- Skipping prompts: You do not have to wait for Audrey Audix to finish speaking before you press the appropriate buttons on your telephone. Although we recommend listening to the prompts, if you are in a hurry, you can dial straight through her voice.
- Transfers: This tip is handy when you are checking your messages from home or out of town. While in the Audix system, at any time you can dial *T then the five digit on-campus extension that you want to be transferred to, and audix will transfer you there.
- Extension look-up: When recording a message to be mailed (option number one), if you forget the extension number of the party you wish to mail the message to, dial *A then follow the prompts to enter their last name and Audix will give you their extension number.
- Correcting mistakes: If while LEAVING a message on the voice mail of an on-campus number, you "mess up" and want to start your message over again, press *3 to delete your first try and then follow her instructions to start over again.
- Private messages: After LEAVING a message on the voice mail of an on-campus number, you decide that you don't want that person to forward your message on to another J-Talk subscriber, press 1 after leaving the message and follow the instructions to make the message "private". Again, private messages cannot be forwarded.
- Undo a message delete: Immediately after deleting a message, if it becomes clear you should NOT have deleted the message, dial **U right after you dialed your *D to delete the message. You will get it back. This feature only works IMMEDIATELY after deleting a message.
- Keep a message fresh: If after listening to a message, you want it to still be in the "new" message category with your light still lit and everything, dial **H after listening to the message. It will remain new.
- Listening Aids can be used while listening to a voice mail message:
Choices 4-9 can be repeated until you achieve the volume/speed/part of the message you want.
- Press 23 to start the message over again, beginning with the message header
- Press 3 to pause the message. Press 3 again to restart
- Press 4 to make the volume louder
- Press 5 to backup in one second increments
- Press 6 to advance in one second increments
- Press 7 to make the volume softer
- Press 8 to make the message speak slower
- Press 9 to make the message speak faster
- Press 0 to listen or replay the message
- Press # to skip to the next message