KU Anywhere: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you do not find the answer to your question here, please see FAQ's for the RINGS Security Analyzer. If you need assistance, please contact the IT Customer Service Center at 864-8080.
1. How is data encrypted through KU Anywhere?
KU Anywhere encrypts through a split-tunnel. This means that when your computer is connected to KU Anywhere, data transmitted between your computer and the KU network (KU Internet addresses and databases) is encrypted. Browsing the Internet to sites outside KU ( e.g. www.google.com or www.ebay.com) or access to non-KU servers will not be encrypted.
2. What if I am a consultant who needs access to KU Servers?
Please contact the IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080 for additional information and approval process.
3. Where do I get help with KU Anywhere installation and connection problems?
Individuals experiencing problems with either the installation or use of KU Anywhere should contact their department technical support staff person for assistance or the IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080.
4. How do I obtain a RINGS log file?
The log file comes from the RINGS Security Analyzer. If you are not already at this point, go to www.rings.ku.edu to run RINGS. Click on the "Launch the RINGS Security Analyzer" button.
When this screen appears click "Start" to run the program. When you receive an error then you are ready to capture the log file. Go to the "File" menu on the RINGS screen (not on your browser) and select "View Logs."
- Select all the text (CTRL and A on Windows, Command and A on Mac)
- Copy all the text (CTRL and C on Windows, Command and C on Mac)
- Open an email message and paste the text into it (CTRL and V on Windows, Command and V on Mac)
- Send the message to the email account as instructed (your local support person or the IT Customer Service Center)
5. I am a KU Med Center Affiliate. Can I get KU Anywhere access?
KU Med Center faculty, staff, students are not currently allowed access to KU resources with KU Anywhere. An individual's primary campus affiliation must be the KU main campus.
6. I am a KU Edwards affiliate. Can I get KU Anywhere access?
This service is available for faculty and staff on the Edwards Campus.
7. There is a local area network at my home or where I will be using KU Anywhere. Are there any special considerations that need to be made for this?
If the local area network you are using allocates IP addresses starting with a 10 (10.1.2.3, for example) access to devices on that network (such as network printers or file servers) will not be available while connected to KU Anywhere. Apple Airport and Netgear LAN devices automatically configure network settings in this manner. Please see your manufacturer's instructions on how to change the default settings or be aware they will not be available while using KU Anywhere. The IT Customer Service Center will be unable to provide support under these circumstances.
Back to KU Anywhere Main Page