KU Anywhere: Security Analyzer
The KU RINGS Security Analyzer to make sure your computer is secure before allowing you to connect to the KU network. It also allows dual- or multi-appointed faculty or staff to choose which secure network they wish to connect. This check should only take a minute or two to run. Once your computer has passed this test, you will not have to run it again for seven days. The next time you use KU Anywhere after that seven days, it will run again.
NOTE: The RINGS Security Analyzer does not require administrator rights to run, but you will need administrator rights to install any software if your computer fails any of the checks. Please check with your departmental technical support staff if you do not know what level of access you have.
The security analyzer conducts the following checks:
- Antivirus software is installed (Checks for Sophos, Microsoft Security Essentials, MacAfee 2007, McAfee Enterprise 8.5 Antivirus, Zone Alarm Antivirus, Norton, Avast, AVG, PC Cillin, V-Com, Clam AV, ClamX AV, NOD32 or Symantec antivirus programs). Requests to add other antivirus software should be submitted to the IT Customer Service Center at 864-8080.
- Macintosh - will only run on Mac OS X 10.4 or higher.
- Linux - runs on popular Linux and Unix distributions
- Windows - will only run on Windows XP SP2, Windows 2000 SP4 or Vista. It not work with earlier versions of Windows (95/98/ME).
- Windows - auto update must be configured to download and install.
- Firewall must be running. A check is made to ensure Windows or Mac OSX firewall is installed and enabled. The Windows Firewall is the only supported firewall for Windows machines. For Linux distributions, IP Tables must be turned on. Requests to add firewalls other than those provided with your operating system are possible, on approval. Please see FAQ 10 listed below for more information.
1. What is The RINGS Security Analyzer and why is it necessary?
It is a piece of software that sits between you, the user, and certain online services that the University of Kansas provides. The RINGS Security Analyzer attempts to make certain that your computer is up-to-date on all security measures so that you don't inadvertently infect KU's network with any malicious software to which your computer may have been exposed. Once you have passed all scans successfully you will be granted temporary entitlements for all services you selected.
2. What happens if I don't pass all the scans?
You will not be granted an entitlement for KU Anywhere access. The RINGS Security Analyzer will prompt you on which updates are required. After remedying this, the analyzer will run again and if no other updates are required, an entitlement will be granted for seven days.
3. What if the "Launch The RINGS Security Analyzer" button doesn't appear on the start page?
Make sure you have Java installed. Your web browser will prompt you to install if you do not have pop-ups blocked. Please verify that pop-ups are not blocked. If that doesn't work, restart your browser and make sure to accept any security certificates that are presented. If you're still having problems, contact the IT Customer Service Center, 864-8080.
4. How long will my entitlement be active?
Your entitlement will be active for seven days.
5. What happens when one of my entitlements expires?
The next time you attempt to use the service the RINGS Security Analyzer will require you to pass all scans again. If you pass, you will be issued another temporary entitlement.
6. Where do I get help?
Contact the IT Customer Service Center, 864-8080.
7. What if I want to run the RINGS Security Analyzer more often than every seven days?
Go to http://rings.ku.edu to run the RINGS Security Analyzer at any time.
8. Can the RINGS Security Analyzer be used by non-KU supported computers (visiting scholars, guests, consultants?)
Yes, it will function on any computer.
9. My technical support person or the IT Customer Service Center has asked me to send me my log file. How do I do that?
The log file comes from the RINGS Security Analyzer. If you are not already at this point, go to www.rings.ku.edu to run RINGS. Click on the "Launch the RINGS Security Analyzer" button.
When this screen appears click "Start" to run the program. When you get an error then you are ready to capture the log file. Go to the File menu on the RINGS screen (not on your browser) and select "View Logs."
- Select all the text (CTRL and A on Windows, Command and A on Mac)
- Copy all the text (CTRL and C on Windows, Command and C on Mac)
- Open an email message and paste the text into it (CTRL and V on Windows, Command and V on Mac)
- Send the message to the email account as instructed (your local support person or the IT Customer Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org)
10. Can I use a firewall other than the one that came installed on my Windows or Mac computer?
To pass the RINGS Security Analyzer test you must be using the operating system's installed firewall. No support for other firewalls is planned in the near future. Basic support for Windows or Mac OS X firewall is available from the IT Customer Service Center.