KU Anywhere Web
KU Anywhere Web is accessed through the Kyou portal. KU Anywhere Web allows secure access to resources on the KU network (access to central file servers, the ability to use the full Outlook client, and the ability to do secure web site maintenance) from computers that are not connected to the KU network, but are connected to the Internet. This service is available to KU currently appointed faculty, staff, GTAs, GRAs and emeriti. A valid KU Online ID is required for both the Kyou portal and KU Anywhere services.
If you have questions about this process please check out the FAQ's page or contact the IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080.
After you log into the Kyou portal, KU Anywhere is accessed by clicking the KU Anywhere link found in the upper right of the portal page:
KU Anywhere | Logout | Help
If you cannot see the KU Anywhere link in the Kyou portal then you do not have access to this service. If you are a KU faculty (including emeriti), staff, GTA or GRA please contact the IT Customer Service Center at 864-8080 for assistance.
- The RINGS Security Analyzer program will run to make sure your computer is secure (antivirus protection is installed, operating system patches up-to-date, and a firewall is enabled). Information about accepted antivirus programs and firewall.
- The RINGS Security Analyzer also provides enhanced management of personal entitlements. This means if you are a faculty or staff person who works for multiple departments on campus and needs access to different departmental resources, RINGS will allow you to choose which network is preferred. If you are only affliated with one department, only that network will be listed.
- The first time you use KU Anywhere Web you need to install a small application on your computer.
- Once your computer has passed this security check and you have installed the application, you will be able to securely access resources on the KU network.
- Subsequent connections do not require the application installation.
- Subsequent connections will periodically require the RINGS Security Analyzer program to authorize the workstation. The analyzer check entitles you to use KU Anywhere for seven days. After seven days, the analyzer will automatically executes to ensure your system is still up to date.
First time use
The first time you use KU Anywhere Web, the RINGS Security Analyzer will run a small application, the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client, will install on your workstation. This application will run on Windows, Mac or Linux/Unix. The operating system versions below are compatible with the VPN client.
- Windows XP SP2, Windows 2000 SP4 or Vista. It will not work with earlier versions of Windows (95/98/ME).
- Macintosh requires Mac OS X 10.5 or higher.
- Linux and Unix popular distributions will function as well (Redhat Enterprise 3, Fedora 4, Slackware, SuSE 10.1, etc.).
NOTE: You must have administrative rights on your computer to install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client. If you do not, please contact your department's technical support staff for assistance.
RINGS Security Analyzer: Step-by-Step
When you click on the Kyou portal link for KU Anywhere. the RINGS Security Analyzer will launch. This program checks to make sure your computer is secure. More information about the RINGS Security Analyzer .
You may see a dialog box similar to that above asking if you trust this certificate signed by The University of Kansas. Click Trust." (Mac) or "Run" (Windows).
Next, you will see a web page with a button that says "Launch the RINGS Security Analyzer." Click the button to launch the RINGS Security Analyzer. If the button does not appear you may need to install Java on your computer. Windows Vista users should be aware there is a programming bug in Java and Internet Explorer 7. Vista users should use the Firefox browser when using this site since Internet Explorer 7 is unsupported at this time.
When this screen appears click "Start" to run the RINGS Security Analyzer. When you see "choose services to authorize", if you are KU Faculty or Staff with more than one appointment, you will see all the departments that you are affiliated. Individuals with only one appointment, this page will look slightly different. Examples of what you may see are listed below.
After you have chose the VPN network you would like to join, click "Continue." This check should only take a few minutes. You will be prompted to complete any updates if they are needed. The security analyzer will report what action is required for completion.
After successfully passing the RINGS Security Analyzer, select "Launch Selected Service" to begin the AnyConnect client install.
If you receive a "digital signature error" message, Click on "Trust." (Mac) or "Run" (Windows).
When the installer launches:
- Click Next
- Accept license agreement
- Click install
The installer will display the window below in your brower. If the auto install fails (and you have administrative rights) you can download the installer manually.
After passing the RINGS Security Analyzer check and installing the AnyConnect client, you will see a Connection dialog box.
Example of VPN client on Macintosh OS
Example of VPN client on PC
After you are connected you will see a client connect icon. Connect and disconnect can be controlled by clicking on this icon.
For Windows: The icon appears in the system tray located at the bottom right of your screen.
For Mac: The icon appears in menu bar located at the the top right of your screen.
You can click the "Disconnect" button in the client window when finished using KU Anywhere. Mac users may see the following error message when trying to disconnect.
If you see this screen click "Accept" to finish disconnecting from KU Anywhere.
The next time you want to use KU Anywhere Web the process will look very similar, but the software will not reinstall. Your system will routinely execute the RINGS Security Analyzer every seven days to ensure continued protection and provide the entitlement to use KU Anywhere.
If you need help please check out the FAQ's page or contact the IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080.
Back to KU Anywhere Main Page