Music On Hold Request Form
Click Here to Register (Note: You must log in first to register.)
The first impression people get of an organization is often from the telephone - and 70 percent of those phone calls are put on hold at some point. To make that experience as positive as possible, there is KU Music on Hold.
The KU offices of Marketing & Communications and Information Technology are making special Music On Hold available free to KU faculty, staff and office phones on the Lawrence campus only.
Music on Hold features Rock Chalk Remix, created specially for this purpose, blended with KU public service messages.
Click to hear Rock Chalk Remix (File: MP3, 3 min., 3.0MB)
How to Use:
- Analog Phones (no-display):
- Use the "Flash" button if you have one, or tap the switch hook and wait for a dial tone.
- Dial # 9
- You may lay the handset down, call is now "on hold"
- To retrieve the call, hang up the handset. The "held" call will ring back automatically.
- Digital Phones:
- Simply press the Hold button.
Why add Music on Hold?
- It's free to subscribers.
- It makes callers feel better about KU - and about being on hold.
- It actually encourages people put on hold to stay on the line. A USA Business Telephone Today survey found that 52 percent of callers will hang up before they'd listen to 60 seconds of dead air.
- Music and messages on hold reduce caller hang-up by more than 80 percent.
- Callers are willing to increase the time they spend on hold by about 120 percent when listening to music and messages.
To subscribe, log in and fill out the Music on Hold request form to register your telephone number to play Music on Hold whenever you place a caller on hold. (You may register multiple numbers if you are acting for your department.) The Music on Hold registration page will prompt you for your KU ID. This is to enable IT to send you an e-mail to confirm your registration for this service and advise you when it will be added to your phone.
Details about Music On Hold
- Whenever you put a caller on hold.
- During the interval while you transfer a call to another phone number.
- During the interval while you add another caller to a conference call.
Those who participate in conference calls should be aware that Music on Hold will be heard by all participants of a conference call if you place the call on hold during the conference call.
If you have questions about the music and messages on KU Music on Hold, contact KU Marketing & Communications at 785-864-3256. If you have questions about the Music on Hold service, contact KU IT at 785-864-8080.