Please note: As of Oct. 1, 2015, KU IT is no longer adding new users or expanding space for existing users on Hawk Drive.
KU students, faculty and staff now have 1TB of online file storage through OneDrive for Business in KU's myCommunity online collaboration space.
Hawk Drive is a web-based file storage system available to KU students, faculty and staff. Hawk Drive provides a secure, web-based location for KU faculty, staff and student employees to share files, manage file portals, store and publish their content, collaborate on research projects and reduce administrative costs.
Benefits of Hawk Drive
- Share files and collaborate with anyone, inside or outside of KU;
- Store files securely and access them anywhere via the Web;
- Easily save and track earlier versions of files;
- Receive notifications when a collaborator makes changes to a file;
- Create ad-hoc groups to share files and folders with committees, departments, and teams (at KU and beyond);
- Discuss the files you're working on in an associated wiki.
- WebDAV enabled (see explanation below)
Hawk Drive is great for:
- Secure storage of your files (up to 1 GB)
- Collaborating on papers, projects and presentations
- Preserving multiple versions of important files
- Committee and group work
Hawk Drive & Web Folder (WebDAV) capabilities
WebDAV (Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning) is an Internet (HTTP) protocol that allows individuals to edit and manage files on a remote server that has this protocol enabled. Hawk Drive is WebDAV enabled. This means that data stored in Hawk Drive can be managed within a webDAV enabled application or operating system. Microsoft Office, for example, is WebDAV enabled, as are current Windows, Macinstosh and Linux operating systems.
The Hawk Drive server is backed up for disaster recovery purposes only. Restoration of individual files (e.g. due to accidental deletion by the user) is not a feature of the Hawk Drive service. For this reason it is critical that account holders maintain a current and complete backup locally of all files placed within their Hawk Drive account.
Faculty & Staff
Graduate Research & Teaching Assistants