Research File Storage cost
Beyond 250GB, a minimum purchase of 2TB is required.
2TB and greater:
- Additional storage can be purchased in 1TB increments at a cost of $200 per terabyte, per year.
- A minimum purchase of 2TB is required, but the first 1TB of the first purchase in a calendar year is free (subsidized by the Office of Research and KU IT).
- In any one year, a researcher can have at most 1TB of free storage. If a researcher or group already has a 250GB free allocation and purchases additional storage, the 250GB will count towards the 1TB subsidy.
- Any storage request over 20TB must be pre-approved to verify space requirements.
- An "add-on" purchase (see below), is defined as any purchase after the initial 2TB minimum purchase. Add-on storage purchases are $200 per terabyte for each additional terabyte.
Storage can be purchased upfront for multi-year research grants, or added on as the need grows. Whether the entire purchase is made upfront or additional allocations are purchased in subsequent years, only the initial purchase receives the subsidy from Office of Research and KU IT.
YEAR 1: 2 TB request for 1 year
1 TB free + ($200 x 1 TB) x 1 year = $200
YEAR 1: 2 TB request for 3 years
1 TB free + ($200 x 1 TB) x 3 years = $600
YEAR 2: Add-on 2 TB for 2 years
$200 x 2 TB x 2 years = $800
10 TB request for 5 years
1TB free + ($200 x 9 TB) x 5 years = $9,000
Storage Cost Calculator
*Total Cost reflects the 1TB subsidy from Office of Research and KU IT
Note: Only the first 1TB of an initial purchase is eligible for the subsidy from Office of Research and KU IT.