Skype for Business phone service brings new era of communications to KU
Last year we rolled out Lync basic service, now called Skype for Business. The basic service includes instant messaging, campus voice and video calls, and online meetings. Now, we are launching the next phase of that campuswide project – Skype for Business phone service for faculty, staff and departments.
With Skype for Business phone service, KU faculty and staff will use their computer to make and receive traditional phone calls via their KU work number. And because Skype for Business is compatible with laptops, tablets and smartphones, calls can happen anywhere there is Internet access.
Skype for Business phone service eliminates the need for traditional desk phones, and the portability of headsets helps maximize the mobile capabilities of Skype for Business. University leadership has determined that headsets will replace desk phones for most faculty and staff. Individual units/departments will have the option to purchase compatible desktop-style phones for employees.
Features of Skype for Business phone service:
- The service is fully-integrated with Microsoft Outlook email, calendaring and meetings.
- Receive voicemail and missed call notifications, and listen to messages via email, or call in to check voicemail.
- Preview voicemails in email with automatic transcriptions before listening.
- Faculty and staff can make and receive phone calls from/to their KU number anywhere in the world they have Internet access.
- Forward calls to work, home or mobile numbers—or simultaneously ring a combination of devices.
- Quickly set up call forwarding or delegates to screen or answer calls.
Overview of the Skype for Business phone service rollout:
- The rollout will begin in spring 2016 and take several years to complete.
- KU IT will enable the service one or two units at a time, working closely with your unit leaders and campus technology staff.
- You will receive notification in advance of your unit’s transition.
- KU IT will work with your unit/department to arrange Skype for Business phone service training workshops near the time of transition.
For more information on the benefits and features of Skype for Business, please visit our Skype for Business website. For Skype for Business phone service, please visit our Skype for Business phone service website.