Skype for Business (Lync) Overview
Microsoft Skype for Business (previously called "Lync") is powerful way to instantly communicate with KU colleagues, KU students and other people around the world. With the click of a button you can open a text chat, make a voice or video call, or even start an online meeting. Skype for Business makes online communication more collaborative and engaging. And, you can use Skype for Business from nearly any computer or mobile device, on campus or anywhere in the world you have Internet access.
Skype for Business is available for Windows computers. Lync is available for Mac computers. Neither Skype for Business or Lync are available for Linux operating systems.
On this website under "Using Skype for Business," you’ll find a series of instructional resources, including brief how-to videos, online and downloadable step-by-step instructions, and a series of downloadable quick start guides. We encourage you to use these resources when you are ready to start using Skype for Business. If you or your department would like additional instructor-led training, you can register for Skype for Business Basic Training at workshops.ku.edu by searching "Skype for Business."
- Choose how you want to communicate—through text chat, voice call or video call.
- Skype for Business can be used on PCs, tablets and smartphones. Lync can be used on Mac.
- Integration with Microsoft Outlook address book makes it easy to contact KU colleagues for a quick chat, voice call or video conference.
- See if your contacts are available, in a meeting or away from their desk.
- Send and share files with simple drag and drop.
- Start and impromptu video conference with the click of a button.
- Schedule online meetings for up to 250 participants using Outlook—even if they don’t have Skype for Business.
- Easily share a PowerPoint presentation, whiteboard or your entire desktop during an online meeting.
- Chat, voice call or video call with colleagues in more than 800 institutions around the world, just by adding them as a contact.
Your Communication, Your Choice
Skype for Business gives you options for communicating and collaborating in new ways with KU colleagues, students and even people outside the university. It brings the different ways people communicate together in a single, easy-to-use interface that includes chat, voice calls, video calls and online meetings. While Skype for Business will be available to all faculty, staff and students, you’ll still have the choice for how and when to use it.