Contacts & Groups
You don’t have to add a contact in order to communicate with them—you can simply search for the person and right click their contact.
The quickest way to find someone via Lync is to launch a search by typing the person’s last name in the search box on the Lync main window. The results display automatically.
Add a contact to your Lync contact list
Your Contacts list simplifies your communications and lets you see presence and contact information for the people most important to you. Add to it the people you expect to be interacting with regularly. To add someone as a contact:
- In the search window, type the last name of the person you want to add. The search results will automatically appear below the search bar.
- Click on the contact.
- To the right of the contact’s name, click the Plus sign with the drop down.
- Select a group to add your new contact to, or select Add to New Group.
After you have searched, to hide the results, select the X in the search box.
Create groups for people you regularly get in touch with
You can set up a group for each team you work with so you can see at a glance who’s available at any given time, or communicate with the entire team at once. To create a new group:
- In the Lync main window, select Contact in the menu at the top of the screen.
- Select Create New Group.
- A new gray bar will appear at the bottom of your contacts list. Type over the phrase New Group and select enter or return on the keyboard to give your group a name.
- You can right-click a contact, and then deselect Tag for Status Change Alerts. Or, when you are alerted that the contact’s status has changed, you can select Untag from the notification box.
Rename a group
- Locate the group you’d like to rename.
- Hold down control on the keyboard and select the group name.
- Select Rename group.
- Type the new group name and select enter or return on the keyboard.