Voicemail Overview and Setup
With Lync for Mac phone service, you can use Lync for Mac to configure, retrieve, and manage your voicemail. Using the available features in this service mode, you can receive email messages in Outlook notifying you of missed instant message conversations, phone calls, and other conversations. You may optionally follow up on the missed communications directly from the message in our Outlook inbox. You can also forward your calls in a variety of ways from the Lync for Mac phone service console. When you first configure voicemail, you will need to supply your Personal Identification Number.
Things to note:
- After you are phone service-enabled, you will notice new folders in Outlook for Missed Calls and Voicemail.
- You can forward a missed call or voice mail just as you would any other email.
- You can create a rule for voicemail email notifications as with any other mail message.
- Voicemail messages do count against your email storage quota.
- If you enter your voicemail PIN incorrectly five times via the voice access number, it will automatically reset and send you an email with a new temporary voicemail PIN.
- If you check a voicemail in Outlook or Lync for Mac, the voicemail notification light on your skype-enabled desk-phone will disappear.
How to set up your voicemail PIN:
After you are enabled for Lync for Mac phone service, you will receive an email that includes a PIN for your voicemail. Refer to that email then:
- Call the Outlook Voice Access number, 785-864-1900. Enter your temporary voicemail PIN at the prompt. You will receive your temporary voicemail PIN in a welcome email from Microsoft Outlook. It will then as you to enter a new one.
Note: PINs must be at least 6 characters long, and cannot contain sequential numbers (123456), or repeating numbers (444444).
Note if you enter your voicemail PIN incorrectly five times via the voice access number, it will automatically reset and send you an email with a new temporary voicemail PIN.
Recording a personal greeting
How to create a personal greeting by calling in using your phone:
- Call the Outlook Voice Access number, 785-864-1900 or 4-1900. Enter your extension if you're not calling from your KU number. Enter your voicemail PIN at the prompt.
- Say “Personal Options.”
- Follow the voice-prompts to record and save your message.
- When you are satisfied, you can hang up.
How to reset your voicemail PIN:
You can reset your voicemail PIN, change voicemail preview, and notification settings, and view call answering rules at mail.ku.edu.
- Log in with your KU Online ID and password at mail.ku.edu.
- Select the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner, then choose Options.
- Select Phone in the left navigation to:
- Reset your voicemail PIN
- Change your Voicemail Greeting
- Change Voicemail Preview settings
- Change Notification preferences
- Add a mobile number to receive text notifications at when you miss a call or receive a voice message