Remote-learning resources and loaner equipment available for students
Campuswide flexibility and courage during these unprecedented times has allowed KU to make a quick jump to remote learning. While the timeline meant less-than-optimal technology outcomes in some cases, IT staff are working to ensure everyone has the tools they need to succeed.
Some students are “making do” at home or in whatever other location they have made their remote “classroom.” Some may be sharing a family computer with parents and siblings because they do not have one of their own. And while we enjoy a high-bandwidth, stable wireless connection on campus, home internet connections for some may not be sufficient for video conferencing and other academic activities. KU IT has resources to make students' new remote learning situation more comfortable. And, our support teams are available to assist.
Computers and Wi-Fi
KU IT can offer the following hardware solutions that may help alleviate some technology challenges:
- A loaner laptop for those who don’t have access to a computer or who may be sharing a family computer. Please see the “Computer Access” section at remote.ku.edu/access for details.
- KU has also found discounted internet and Wi-Fi resources available for those who do not have internet access at home, or those whose home internet connection doesn’t provide sufficient bandwidth. Information is available at remote.ku.edu/access.
- We also encourage students to visit help.ku.edu for information on the KU’s Emergency Aid Network as those resources may be able to help bridge technology gaps.
- The IT Customer Service Center is available to help and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-864-8080.
- Howto.ku.edu offers a wide array of resources, including .pdf quick-start guides for various services and tools, to help students master KU’s software and service offerings.
- Technical help is available 24/7 through our Knowledge Base.
- In addition to technology resources, remote.ku.edu provides other information and tips for successful online learning.
KU IT is here to help students complete this transition in as comfortable a fashion as possible. We want to help elevate all Jayhawks to a more satisfying remote teaching, learning and working experience. Additionally, KU’s coronavirus website has additional technology and other COVID-related information and resources all Jayhawks should find helpful.
Finally, KU IT staff care personally about student success and well-being. Many students may be facing challenges unrelated to technology. Students struggling emotionally can connect remotely with Counseling and Psychological Services. Additionally, Watkins Student Health is available. Students concerned about housing, food or finances should reach out to Student Money Management Services for help figuring out next steps.