KU IT's Media Production Studio provides equipment, workspace and software for students and faculty to shoot, edit and produce digital projects. Whether you're an instructor producing content for a course or an aspiring filmmaker needing access to a camcorder or video-editing suite, we're here to help.
Who can use the Media Production Studio?
Faculty, staff and students are all welcome. We have a number of solutions that specifically cater to faculty instructional needs. We're also excited about offering new services for students from all disciplines by providing access to tools that allow them to complete creative projects—both educational and personal.
What can I do at the Media Production Studio?
Our staff and resources are able to provide full production support for your project. We've set up space and equipment so that you can plan, capture and edit your entire project - or just a piece of it - using our checkout equipment, recording spaces and post-production workstations. Our resources include:
- Apple's Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, Motion and iMovie for video editing, compositing and compression
- Adobe's CS6 Master Collection, including Adobe Premiere and After Effects
- Audacity and Garageband for audio editing
- Camtasia for screen capture software
- Online access and licensing to Killer Tracks - a professional production music library.
- Equipment to capture from Mini-DV, HDV (Mini-DV), DVD, VHS, Hi8, 16mm film, 35mm slides, and audio cassette tape
- 1-person sound booth for audio recording
- Recording studio suitable to record lectures, speeches or interviews
- A green screen for chroma key sequences
What services do Media Production staff provide?
Knowledgeable staff are available 8am-5pm each weekday in the Media Production Studio to assist you with your project. Stop by our front desk with your questions or requests. Additionally, the studio oversees a number of IT and multimedia services at no charge, including:
- Production-oriented workshops, presented in the studio (workshop calendar, category = "Multimedia")
- Administration of Kaltura, our streaming media solution, which KU faculty and staff can use and integrate with Blackboard
- Support and training for multimedia and production services (e.g., Adobe Connect, VoiceThread, Kaltura, iTunes U)
- Support of multimedia-oriented Blackboard building blocks (e.g., Wimba, Podcasting, etc)
- Drop-off audio/video digitization and duplication services
- Accessibility production assistance (Closed-Captioning)
- Classroom videotaping services
- Capture assistance in our spaces (i.e., sound booth, recording studio)
- Collaboration with the Center for Online and Distance Learning (CODL) to support media production for online instructional materials
- Support of departments and programs with production and delivery of their multimedia
- Software and hardware purchasing consultation
Location, Hours and Contact
The Media Production Studio is located in the Budig Computer Lab, Room 10, Budig Hall. Our space is partitioned in the center of the computer lab. We're staffed from 8-5 each weekday, but most of the workstations are available any time the Budig Computer Lab is open.
You can contact the Media Production Studio at firstname.lastname@example.org or 864-6452.