KU IT maintains a data center for hosting physical and virtual servers. For data security due to both cybersecurity threats and catastrophic loss, KU IT encourages researchers, campus units and departments to locate physical and/or virtual servers in the KU IT Data Center. The Data Center is a restricted access, climate-controlled facility that is monitored 24/7 by technology staff.
Hosted Server Management Services
One option you have when hosting a Windows or Linux server with KU IT is the “Server Management” option. When choosing this option, you entrust IT Enterprise Systems (ITES) to manage your server operating system. This service includes:
- 24/7 system monitoring
- Secure facility
- Controlled power and temperature environment.
- Daily backups
- Offsite storage and restoration services
- Problem management
KU IT will work with researchers to design a managed services agreement that meets their needs.
Cost of physical and/or virtual hosting is customized to meet individual needs and requirements. Contact your IT Support Staff, or the IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080 or email@example.com, for a quote.
Example virtual servers and cost:
- Database Server / Linux / MySQL / 2 GBs RAM / 1CPUs / 10 GBs Storage - $142/yr $170/yr + $7.00
- Database Server / Linux / Oracle / 4 GBs RAM / 1CPUs / 60 GBs Storage - $312/yr $340/yr $42.00
- Database Server / Windows / Windows / 4 GBs RAM / 2CPUs / 80 GBs Storage - $326/yr $340
- General Server / Linux / 2 GBs RAM / 1CPUs / 10 GBs Storage - $142/yr
- General Server / Windows / 4 GBs RAM / 1CPUs / 80 GBs Storage - $326/yr
- Web Server / Linux / Apache / 2 GBs RAM / 1CPUs / 10 GBs Storage - $142/yr
- Web Server / Linux / Tomcat / 2 GBs RAM / 1CPUs / 60 GBs Storage - $177/yr
- Web Server / Windows / IIS / 4 GBs RAM / 1CPUs / 80 GBs Storage - $142/yr
Backup $0.64 per GB. Additional storage would be $0.70/GB (applicable for virtual servers). To add Server Management to any of the above servers would add an additional $170/yr.
Contact your IT Support Staff for help setting up server hosting, or contact the IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact your IT Support Staff, or the IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080 or email@example.com.