Configure Email on Your Devices
You can check your KU email online from anywhere in the world and on any internet-enabled device using Outlook Office 365. You also can connect your KU email account to your Windows PC, Mac or a mobile device.
Desktop and Laptop Computers
Microsoft Outlook is the recommended and supported desktop/laptop computer email client for KU email services for both Windows and Mac. Outlook is already installed on faculty and staff workstations.Students, faculty and staff can install Outlook on personal devices for free through Microsoft Office 365.
Connecting on Windows:
Make sure Microsoft Outlook is installed on your computer, then:
- Launch Outlook and select Get Started.
- Select Start Using Outlook.
- Enter your KU email address.
- Select Advanced options, and select Set up manually.
- Select Exchange as account type.
- When entering password, select More choices and Use a different account.
- Enter home\ followed by your KU Online ID (for example, home\a123b456) and your password.
- Follow the prompt to complete the setup.
Connecting on Mac:
You can connect your KU email to the Mail app on your Mac or with Outlook.
- Launch Microsoft Outlook.
- Enter your primary KU email address and click Continue.
- Fill in the following fields:
- Domain\Username: Enter home\ followed by your personal KU Online ID (for example, home\a123b456)
- Password: Your password
- Server: mail.ku.edu
- Follow the prompts to complete the setup.
Additional instructions for configuring email are available in our Knowledge Base.
To configure your mobile device to access your KU email, use the device-specific instructions below. When configuring KU mail and calendar on a mobile device, you may get an ActiveSync pop-up message requesting approval for terms of service and access to certain device features. Please note: KU has not activated remote access to any security features on personal mobile devices owned by students, faculty or staff. You can read more about ActiveSync below.
KU's email service (Microsoft Exchange) uses ActiveSync to configure email and calendars on mobile devices. When configuring your mobile device to your KU email and calendar, you may receive a pop-up alert message* with the terms of service and features that could be managed remotely, if authorized. The alert message varies on different mobile devices and operating systems, and may include:
- Set password rules
- Lock the screen
- Erase all data
- Set storage encryption
- and more
*Some mobile devices, notably Apple (iPhone, iPad), do not show a pop-up message.
KU has not activated these settings for faculty, staff and student personal devices. The remote access controls mentioned are typically used where organizations provide mobile devices to their employees.
To connect your KU email and calendar on your mobile device, you will need to accept the terms of service.
What is ActiveSync?
In Microsoft Exchange, ActiveSync is the protocol by which some applications connect to Exchange. It consists of software on the Exchange servers and client software on the user’s device. Most mobile devices have chosen this protocol to connect to Exchange to get email, calendars, contacts etc.