Provides a way for KU departments to securely and responsibly recycle obsolete, unused or unwanted computers and other electronic equipment. All data is completely removed from computer and thumb drives before disposing of them in an environmentally safe manner.
All KU campus departments should use this service for KU-owned and/or operated equipment.
What can be recycled?
Recycled items include servers, desktops, workstations, thumb drives, cell phones, tapes, printers, monitors, telephony, network gear, peripherals, etc. Electronic testing equipment from research labs may also be recycled once the department removes any hazardous materials or chemicals.
Properly disposing of technology equipment at home is just as important as at work. Douglas County typically hosts at least one e-recycling event each year. Information on the e-recycling events and other environmentally responsible disposal options is available on the Douglas County website.
When disposing of an old computer, just deleting files isn't enough to protect your personal information because in many cases the files are still recoverable. You should either overwrite the data or physically destroy the storage device (e.g., hard drive, thumb drive, etc.)
Tips for protecting your personal data when disposing of an old computer:
Most items can be disposed of at no cost. Departments will be billed directly to recycle the items that have a recycling fee. After the customer completes the online eWaste request (see "Access") and the equipment has been disposed of, IT Fiscal Services staff will create and send an invoice to the appropriate department for any applicable charges.
The eWaste recycling process for most departments is managed by IT support staff or eWaste designees. Check with your department to find out if a representative has been designated to assist in eWaste recycling.
If your department does not have someone designated to assist with eWaste recycling, please follow these steps to initiate an eWaste recycling request:
- Fill out an eWaste request (located in lower right, under "Other Requests"). If you have questions or need help with the form, contact the KU IT Customer Service Center at 785-864-8080 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The KU IT eWaste Team will contact you to schedule a date and time for pickup. Items may be picked up by IT staff at no cost, or departments may arrange for Facilities Operations to transport the items for a fee (contact the Facilities Operations movers at 785-864-4770 for fee information).
- Please note that pick-ups and drop-offs are by appointment only. Arrangements can be made for large shipments.
- If desired, request a Certificate of Destruction from KU IT for any drive that is scheduled to be wiped and recycled. The certificate will be sent once recycling is complete.
- Please review the Transfers & Dispositions information provided by Property Accounting Services and complete the appropriate transfer/disposition forms.
Support is available through the KU Information Technology Customer Service Center at email@example.com or 785-864-8080.
Relevant University Policies: